Sunday 8 September 2013

Summer Cliches

Summer is drawing soon to a close, and we are entering the fall months. Let me start off with saying that this Summer was about as good as any Summer. I mean, Summer's grand and all, but it's not all that fantastic. We wait all year for Summer, because we have these pre-conceived notion that this particular season includes things like "summer romances", "continuous beach days" and "beautiful tans".

This is false. Well. Not always false. But, in most circumstances it is. Let's break this down, shall we?

1. Summer romances. Ah, this is my favourite. Now, can someone please explain to me, why people (mostly teenage girls) think that in the Summer, you are more likely to "fall in love". Honestly, it doesn't make sense to me at all. A season has absolutely no effect on whether you fall in love or not. I assume that it's the movies that plant these silly ideas in most people's heads, but let me just state it here: if you are looking to fall in love, you wont. Love is something that has no schedule so therefore does not come about at any particular time. God, that sounded corny. But you get the idea.

2. Every day spent at the beach. Another good one. Who has the time to spend every single day at the beach. Not me, that's for sure. If you are one of these people, then good for you! I'm sure lots of people are envying you. I however, work for the majority of the Summer and "simply do not have the time" (That was an inside joke between me and a couple of my friends). Anyway, I love the beach. I'll be the first one to admit that, but there's definitely some better things that I can be spending my time doing than sitting on my ass, letting myself burn to a crisp, only to look like a lobster for the next week. And that leads into the next rant topic.

3. What is it with girls these days, (and some boys as well) being obsessed with "The Perfect Tan". I don't get it. What is so fancy about a tan? Some people look absolutely ridiculous with it. Yes, there's a mild bit on tension here because I do not tan, I burn. But, you know what? At least that keeps me out of the sun, and therefore far away from a thing I like to call the "lobster look". When a tan goes all wrong. Have any of you people heard of a thing called Melanoma? Skin Cancer. That's right, I dropped the "C" word. Now, Cancer is not something to fool around with. It's dangerous, and this particular type can be avoided by staying out of the sun. Sure, spray tans can make you look like a Dorito sometimes, but not if they're done right. And a simple thing like that could be the difference between being healthy, and landing in the hospital. Just put on some sunscreen, okay?

Aside from all of that, Summer is a beautiful season, really. But it's not something that you should revolve your life around. Make every season one to remember.
There's my rant for the evening, hope you enjoyed it.
Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment